Europa-List: 914 Smooth running

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Smooth running
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:39:37

Patrick writes
"I am really learning about fuel pumps and pressures etc (I think) and  wonder

if anyone can comment on the problem I have with getting a smooth  running
engine at RPM below about 3600 on my 914.  Could it be  overmuch fuel pressure

and carb flooding with both pumps on in my parallel  system?"
Patrick, having recently attended a class on the 914 I would suggest
pneumatically
balancing the carbs.  This has the single greatest impact on a smooth running
engine.  Also, remember the fuel pressure at the carbs is a function of airbox
pressure and is set by the fuel pressure regulator, therefore, having the
pumps in parallel would not cause flooding.  I have been using the parallel
system
on my 914 for the last three years without issue.  Almost all the 300 hours
have been at or above 12,500 ft MSL.
Erich Trombley