Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Alternator Lamp

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Alternator Lamp
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:47:55

>> Have had the alternator lamp come on during flights
>> recently. On my last flight I had to eventually save
>> battery power and load shed as the GPS shut down.
>> Before delving into the electrical side, of which I
>> am no expert, has anyone else had problems with their
>> alternator/regulator? I have used the exact wiring
>> diagram Europa supplied for my Classic monowheel.
>> Engine has only 50hrs on it. First started when we
>> had cold weather. However I did have a problem with
>> the battery +ve connection which has been rectified.
>> Any thoughts? Will check all connections? Cheers,

Tim

I assume it is a complete failure ? I have an intermittent
failure to charge ! I am sure it is a dry solder joint
somewhere inside the regulator which costs 150 and has
components worth 10 in it (max !)

If yours is a permanent failure it is much easier to diagnose.

You need to take the orange connector off the regulator
and add some small capacity wires into the faston
connectors - being careful not to leave any shorts. use
the orange connector with its existing wires as away of
keeping the additional wires in place.

Then connect up your voltmeter and stand back - staring
the engine.

First but the voltmeter in AC volts mode across the GG
terminals (the cables to the engine).

It should read 14 tick over - 30 ish at high revs. If not
- then the problem is the stator

The change to the B+ terminal and to earth. WHen the
engine is running is that at 12.5 volts DC (if so then it
is the regulator, if it is at 14 volts then the problem is
further towards your "alternator" switch.

Keep moving that way until you find where the break is.

Health and Safety. Propellors are dangerous !

if you are not exactly clear about what I am describing -
ask me again direct and I will make a bigger effort :-) Do
not let any of the temporary wire short to anything !

you will need to charge the battery up to get the engine
to start, and if it continues to not charge then you will
have to keep charging up the battery.

Or come up and discuss it when you next "drop" into town :-)

HTH

Richard Holder