Europa-List: Rotax 914, run fuel pump with no battery?

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914, run fuel pump with no battery?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:43:23

Studying Rotax 914 schematic, the main fuel pump is wired to the B+ of the
regulator.

It appears if you open the alternator output switch, they expect the
alternator could run the fuel pump with no battery in circuit and act as a
true redundant pump???

Am I correct in my assumption that you could fly with a fuel pump running
off the alternator only with no battery connected?

In this configuration with no battery at all, is the alternator self
exciting to get things going?

Will testing often to make sure the pump will run in this configuration do
any harm to the regulator, alternator, pump or switch? Or should this be
used only in an emergency?

They do have a 22000mF capacitor from B+ to ground.

Thx.
Ron Parigoris