Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Tire & Tube life

Subject: Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Tire & Tube life
From: Rmi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:14:30

 Paul,

The max pressure mentioned on my original  tyre was 24 PSI.  As I was not
confident
in the strength of this  tyre and wanted to increase that pressure, I replace
it by a Mac Creary Air Trac 8.00-6/6 after 150 hours.  I had to keep the
original tube as the valve of the new tube I bought from ACS  was incompatible
with the Europa wheel. I inflate now at 30 PSI. The new tire and increased
pressure
greatly improves handling on both hard and grass runways. It also increases
slightly the prop clearance. I have now 378 hours. The tyre does not show
any sign of wear.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, S/N395 XS monowheel,   288 hours on a 914 + 90 hours since fitted with
the 912S, Airmaster prop ordered.

I am wondering how folks are making out with Monowheel tires and tube life.
If I keep the tube inflation in the 18~20 psi then I find that it is really
tough on the tubes.  Yesterday I had my second tube failure while on
landing.  If you have ever had this happen is tough going,  it is impossible
to move the aircraft by hand.

At this stage I am thinking of changing my tubes every 100 hours, but I am
wondering about the tire.  The tire I have now has 370 hours on it and it
still has tread, how ever its obvious that the side walls have been weakened
by the constant running at low pressure, so perhaps I need to change it more
often as well.  Thoughts  ?

Paul
N378PJ