Europa-List: Towing gliders

Subject: Europa-List: Towing gliders
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:35:22

In a message dated 1/11/2006 3:11:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list-digest@matronics.com writes:

Hi Ron,

> Article says it can tow a 1323 pound glider provided you keep gross weight
> of Diamond below 1587 pounds.

With literally hundreds of glider tows under my belt, I cannot advise towing
gliders with such low HP unless you have A LOT of room. Until recently I
regularly towed with an O-540 equipped Piper Pawnee. With some special engine
modifications, it dyno's at 307 hp and there have been times in both strong
thermal

conditions and wave where I've not been able to maintain a climb through
strong sink with a glider on tow. This Pawnee ordinarily climbs between 1200 fpm
-
1400 fpm on an average tow of a single place glider and climbs at better than
2500 fpm off tow. I have also towed with a 150 hp Citabria with a climb prop
---From a 5500' paved strip and the only way I can describe it is anemic.
"Scary"

is another word that comes to mind.

Towing gliders with 115 hp? Yeah, you can probably do it, but you can also
stick a fork in your eye. I wouldn't recommend either, though.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245 (Prepping cowls for primer and paint. All else is DONE!)