RE: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa-list: fitting gascolator
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:23:58

Hi! Mike.
I thought I had been meticulous but as you said it was the finger
filters which caught me out and for what it's worth if all that they
both had collected were to be put into the gascolator it would still NOT
have starved the engine (No matter how much fuel it uses !)
So now I don't have finger filters, I have opened up the drilling
intersections within the tank connectors and use a fine gauze filter in
the filler when filling but I bet if you tried you'd get German Shepherd
hairs through it (end on!) and your finger filters would manage to grab
them if you had the misfortune to get the problem.
The irony in my case was that, even though I only use the reserve side
the requisite occasional proof period, it had collected sufficient to
suffer the same problem as the main side so both finger filters had
failed within 10 minutes of each other with nothing found in the
gascolator further down the line. My experience with the Europa in line
original filters was early during test flying from tank swarf in the
usual manner often found.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300 (able to use as much fuel as
it needs at all times !)