RE: Europa-List: Vertical Card Compass

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vertical Card Compass
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:39:52

 Hi Paul,

We have one in N135TD which works just fine.  They do tend to stick a
little when the engine is not running.  The compass mechanism has a
finite amount of drag which takes a little engine vibration to break it
loose at small heading deviations from the current indication.  I have
heard it said that vertical card compasses may be too jerky when
installed in 6-cylinder engined planes, because they are too smooth to
supply the break-out vibration needed.

We have mounted ours in the main panel, just above the recess for the
gear retraction lever, being careful to keep that area clear of
ferro-magnetic equipment.

Also, please note that all compasses, not just vertical card, can show
different readings with the engine off vs on, so do your compass
calibration with the engine running (which then gets rid of the
'stickiness').

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD