Europa-List: Re: 914 throttle stops

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 throttle stops
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:40:30

Craig,

What you have done is the calibration of the throttle.  You need to set
physical stops for idle and full throttle (115%) and a detent at 100 %.
Refer to page 57-61 of the Rotax Install manual and pages 208 - 209 in the
Maint manual (the Install manual describes an earlier version of the
software).  You do all this with the engine not running, just the electrics
on so the TCU is operational.  Make your physical stops (we made a throttle
bezel similar to the Europa bezel for the gear lever and then made aluminum
pieces that went under the bezel for both stops and also the detent).  Then
run the software and adjust the stops - the percentage is shown as "Load" in
the software.

Also be sure your wastegate cycles.  At power on the wastegate should cycle
---From full closed to open and back to full closed.  Closed is the cable fully
extended or the wastegate arm displaced fully to the port side of the
aircraft.

When you get ready to do the carb balance, there are two good articles by
Phil Lockwood on how to do this.  Go to www.eaa.org and go to the Sport
Pilot section.  There are copies of the EAA Sport Pilot magazine there and
you want the April and May 2004 issues.  Phil's column is called "Power On"
and the articles are .pdf.  I think Steve D also has these in the Europa
Owners website www.europaowners.org.

Jim & Heather Butcher
N241BW 12 hrs flown off