Re: Europa-List: Alternater Warning light.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Alternater Warning light.
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:22:46

> I can't find any description of this in my Rotax 912s manuals.
> Am I  looking in the rong place?
> Am I right in thinking that it will indicate a high and low voltage
> condition. If so how does it distinguish between the two and
> what voltages bring the light on?

Going by only the schematic and the datasheet for the transistor which
turns on the lamp --- it doesn't sense any level of voltage, per se.
All the lamp circuit reliably appears to do is -- when both of the
semiconductors which  do the principal work of the regulator are
working, the lamp will be dark.  If one or both of those semiconductor
devices fail, the lamp will probably light.  It doesn't appear able to
indicate whether a component failure is due to either a low or high
voltage condition, and least likely the latter, seems to me.
Conversely, it appears also that a dark lamp could happen even in a low
or high voltage condition.

Reg,
Fred F.