Re: Europa-List: First engine start.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First engine start.
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:40:44

Cliff:

Thanks for the heads up,  I went snooping around the engine and connections
and found a coolant clamp in need of  tightening!?

Steve

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net

blanketed every thing. I should have checked the clamp a little closer.

> Cliff Shaw
> 1041 Euclid ave.
> Edmonds, WA 98020
> 425 776 5555
> http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

and a half now and I'm running out of things to do on the rest of the
airplane. So the decision has been made to tie the tailwheel to the car and
fire it up in the driveway this Saturday.  The  engine has been hand
proppped through about every 2 months to keep the oil pumped  where it
needs to be. Oil pressure rises very fast with just hand propping.  Noting
that oil only returns to the tank if the  sparkplugs are in as blowby
pressurizes the sump. I need to know of any issues to watch out for.  I am
aware of the need to undo the  turbocharger sump return line to verify oil
being pumped through upon engine startup.  However with the amount of oil I
have dripping out of the air filter I know there is plenty of  oil there.

>   Has any one experienced any gotcha's upon initial startup, are there
any other things to watch for.  I haven't made the checklist yet but will
be looking for proper response from all sensors.  Tach verification, fuel
flow sensors etc.  Have a mercury manometer that I used to set up my old
BMW.  That machine ran very differently between the balanced and  slightly
balanced conditions.  So that will probably be the  first thing
accomplished after floes, temperatures, and pressures are verified.  Both
the top and  bottom cowlings will be off.  Automatic operation of the
Airmaster prop will be verified.  The TCU 100 % was set over a year ago
using a laptop, are there any other concerns to be aware of in this
respect? Two gallons of  high test will be put in the tank,  All fuel lines
and pumps etc have been checked long ago as the tank was filled and the
system was pressurized for an extended time with the pumps, and  then
drained.  I do have a concern that there  is  some old !
>  gas
>     in the float bowls.  If the  engine doesn't start right off or runs
roughly then they will come off.  There is a distinct "old fuel" aroma
when the nose is put in the  fuel filler port.  Will have halon fire
extinguisher available, has anyone out there experienced any fires?

>   Input appreciated,
>
>   Steve Hagar
>   A143
>   Mesa AZ
>
>   "There's a slight nip in the air, the temperature got below 95 when
riding the  motorcycle to work yesterday afternoon!"