Europa-List: Problem with metal Airmaster spinner

Subject: Europa-List: Problem with metal Airmaster spinner
From: Tim Weert <tim.weert@hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:13:27

Hi All,

Yesterday I discouvered a small crack in the spinner from my Europa. The crack
starts from one of the "corner" screws to the propeller. It ends at the flat
side
cut out for the propeller gap. It is a little but more than 1 cm long.

At 28-8-2003, the former owner (EMIL, it was then flying as demonstrator G-KITZ)
replaced the metal spinner according the techlog due to a crack at 288 flying
hours. Now, 2 years later at 480 flying hours there develloped again a crack
in that "new" spinner.
The propeller and carburators are balanced.

Are there more Europa's with a metal spinner who had this problem?
Is it a design problem or may be an installation problem?
What is the best solution?

According Gehling flugtechnik at Stadtlohn (EDLS in Germany) they can place
"triangles"
of metal at all 6 corners (every propeller blade has two corners like
this), all triangle plates fitted with 3 "nieten" (= kind of flat rivets) a
piece
to the spinner. But I would like to know if the suggested cure of Gehling
is allowed and will hold.

Regards, Tim.
Heerhugowaard,
#460 PH-JAI XS TG 914 AP332