Europa-List: PFA EC Elections

Subject: Europa-List: PFA EC Elections
From: Jeremy Davey <EuropaFlyer3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:46:14

(Sorry, non-UK folks, but once again this is an email only of any interest
to the UK folks. Please accept my apologies for the intrusion, hit delete
and move on to much more interesting things like DOTHs, fuel smells, and how
to look after your Rotax/Jabiru/Wilksch!)

There is a matter related to the PFA EC elections that I think I need to
bring to your attention.

Whether we like it or not, the PFA and the BMAA currently compete for a
segment of the Permit aircraft market. It dates back to a regulatory change
which raised the upper weight limit for microlights and meant that there was
now an overlap. A Gentlemen=92s Agreement between the two organisations at
that time to avoid competition has not moved forward as the light aircraft
world has moved forward, and we now have the current situation where the PFA
and BMAA are indeed in competition.

I should say at this point that I personally would be in favour of a merger
of the two so that we could concentrate all efforts on moving our aviating
forward. Indeed, we already have many members in common!

As you may have read in the latest Popular Flying, there are 8 candidates
for 6 places on the EC. You may also know that one of the candidates is the
current Chairman of the BMAA, having recently stood down and put himself
forward for re-election. While I personally get on very well with Keith
Negal, and believe he would be an excellent candidate if he were not a
senior BMAA activist, I am deeply concerned about the conflict of interest
that would occur if he were elected. The vast majority of the current EC
share my concerns.

I want to ask you to consider this carefully when casting your vote,
something I strongly encourage you to do _whoever_ you choose to support.

There are also candidates I would like to ask for your particular support
for. As well as the existing EC members standing for re-election who have
contributed to the Association, Barry Plumb is well known and his
engineering knowledge would be a great asset, while Lord Robin Rotherwick, a
past EC member, has been very helpful to us in our lobbying efforts =96
efforts which are now bearing fruit.

But above all, please vote! We need an EC which is representative of the
members=92 wishes!

Kind regards,
Jeremy
Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
PFA EC Member
=93If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then it is
possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation.=94
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1400 build hours to date
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms