Europa-List: Re: Fuel smell 912S XS front fire wall

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel smell 912S XS front fire wall
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:19:22

Those still interested

I know lots has been said about this.

I have a 912S in my plane. The carburetors are inclined to overflow when the
engine
overheats after shutdown or when the engine runs rough .  The overflow is
vented to the airbox.   """It must be vented to the airbox !!!!!"""

In a 914 the airbox is at bust pressure and so venting is not done, it just
overflows
into the "catch trays/ heat shields".

The other thing I took notice of -- The RPM to run the Rotax at in cruse.
There
is a misunderstanding here. Some people are thinking "fixed"  props, and others
are using "Constant Speed" props.  I always cruise with my prop set to "cruse"
This is automatic control of pitch to make the tach read 5000 RPM.  If
I choose to reduce power to, say, 4 US gph, I still have 5000 RPM on the tach.
If I remember correctly I can get to about 3.5 US gph before the prop can not
keep the RPM up.

Now did that explain the differences??

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.