RE: Europa-List: engines and props

Subject: RE: Europa-List: engines and props
From: Andy Silvester <andy@suncoastjabiru.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:44:20

Hi Graham,

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the physics and theory (!) but thanks
for the info - interesting.

Here on the "Rotax/Europa" (hehe) list I fully expect to be challenged
regarding the capabilities of the Jabiru engine, particularly in reference
to its track-record in UK-based Europas. However, much has happened over the
last 4 or 5 years in terms of the engine's development but (more
importantly) the improved knowledge and experience of installation methods
- including cooling performance. Of course, it's easy to look back and
remember those who struggled in the early days (steady, now, Bob!) and draw
conclusions which perhaps don't reflect the reality of the present
situation.

My focus with the Europa/Jabiru 3300 installation is clearly in USA where
the engine is gaining very quickly in popularity in a wide range of
aircraft. I feel fortunate to have sampled the markets and Customers on both
sides of the pond (I moved here from UK to sell these things over 4 years
ago) and it's true that the massive installed-base of the ubiquitous
Lycoming / Continental makes it easier for us to promote and sell a direct -
drive air-cooled engine with the Jabiru's size, weight, TBO and performance
(It's nice and shiny too).

The Rotax is a great engine and you won't hear me rubbishing it. Heck, if
Jabiru can sell HALF the number that Rotax has to date we'll be doing very
well (here's hoping). I should leave it to Jabiru owners here on the list to
explain their reasons for purchase but I'll bet the list will include
"simpler", "cheaper and easier to maintain", "better sounding", "nicer
looking", etc. It's great that people are free to choose from a range of
suitable engines. I had to laugh at Oshkosh last week where I heard a guy
who was peering into our Jabiru engine installation (top cowling off) and
saying that 'by comparison the Rotax is like looking into a nuclear power
plant.....'). Yes, of course there were probably a different set of people
on Rotax's booth discussing the finer points of propeller efficiency or
engine thermodynamics but hey, that's fine with me, and people make their
choices on a wide range of requirements. Everyone knows that Ford trucks
have better air conditioners than GM, but GM still sells lots of trucks.....

In short, I think there's room for all of us here.

Cheers, Andy

Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
www.suncoastjabiru.com