Europa-List: 3 Nico cable?

Subject: Europa-List: 3 Nico cable?
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:13:32

The monowheel manual calls for 2 nicos per thimble for tailwheel cables.

If 2 is better than 1, is 3 better than 4?

On smaller length cables that do not need to go through some sort of guide, I
have
had good success with 3 nico cables.

What you do is thread 1 nico for each thimble as normal. Then you leave the
tails
long enough so they cross each other at half cable length. Then you swage a
nico on the 2
tails, of course the tails enter at opposite sides of the nico. this sets your
length. then you tension the 2 thimbles with 40 or more pounds, I usual use a
5 gallon can of
kerosene and nico under tension. The cables will load share.

I usual leave 1/8" cable sticking out of nico and heat shrink on a piece of
adhesive
lined teflon.

Any comments as to why use 4 nicos instead of 3?

thx.
Ron P.