Re: Europa-List: Carb Balancer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb Balancer
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:00:33

I was about to comment on the dangers of adjusting the carbs while the
engine is running (TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!)

Although the carbs should be balanced through the RPM range it is best to
aim for perfection at the normal operating speed (ie: about 4500 - 5000
RPM).

Due to the vibration of the engine (if nothing else) accurate adjustment of
the screws will be nigh on impossible not to mention the risk of slipping
and getting chopped up.

After trying various mechanical guages, we opted for the "Twinmax" balancer
which works on the differential principle (solid state). Cost about 60 and
very easy to set up and use.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS