Re: Europa-List: Re: Nosewheel bungee

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Nosewheel bungee
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:24:12

willie harrison wrote:

> Thanks, Gary. We get regulated quite tightly by our
> beloved (!) PFA in the UK and they can invalidate our
> Permit to Fly if we do a modification without their
> approval, although I do take your point. A heavy
> nosewheel landing is something you'd only really expect
> from a trainee pilot and no-one would train on a
> Europa.
>
> Several people have suggested cunning schemes to fit
> bungees and the one which appeals to me is to fit 7
> individual bands, each looped, tensioned and hooked
> separately. Although this is also a mod, it has been
> deemed a "non-modification-modification". Better than
> getting a hernia by hauling in 6 metres of extra
> strength knicker elastic...

My standard knicker (underpant to our US friends) elastic
has stood up OK for 2 1/2 years in my tri-gear.

But if it is really OK to go the Kevin "separate loops"
root without the involvement of the PFA then I would
certainly if (when) I need to go that way. As I read it it
was 5 (Five) separate loops not 7.

In addition to to almost certain (no - certain)
improvement in the ease of fitting there is another
advantage. If a loop softens or is damaged somehow, there
are still 4 working OK. Much better than the
all-or-nothing original design.

Richard Holder
G-OWWW #51 - High Cross