Europa-List: Kit No 15 Flies at Last

Subject: Europa-List: Kit No 15 Flies at Last
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:34:17

Hi Everyone

On the 24th May 2005 our Classic Europa Monowheel G-ZTED finally took to
the air at Wombleton in the capable hands of Andy Draper.

After 11 years can we claim the record for  the slowest build ?

Andy stated that she flew beautifully with no adverse tendencies.
However, during a few flights to adjust the fine & course pitch stops on
the Airmaster prop and to investigate our numerous modifications, (
Different Main Wheel operating lever, Electric Flaps, Electric Outriggers,
an adaptation of the Nigel Charles parallel fuel system, Cowl Flaps,
Throttle Levers on each side of the cockpit,  Third door shoot bolt,  Gas
Strut containment levers, Secret catches on Oil, & Water inspection doors
and Fuel Filler, Long Wing Root Fairings,  and a cool air and demist system
integrated into the dashboard - - - - -  can we also claim the record for
the most mods ? ) he started to  experience coughing and spluttering from
the engine.    This always occurred about 1minute after opening the
throttle to full power for take off and was accompanied with a massive drop
in the EGT on the port side.     This could normally be stopped by
throttling back slightly and then opening the throttle again and it was OK
for he rest of the flight.   The spluttering appeared to last longer on
each flight despite our checks on the fuel flow and even changing the fuel
pump until, on one flight, our heart stopped as we watched him disappearing
down behind the trees when the engine did not pick up again.    He did, in
fact, get it back to the airfield as it eventually picked up out of our
earshot and we  were able to breath again.    The rest of the tests were
carried out on the ground at full power with the  tailwheel tied to my car.
  It was eventually solved when I removed the port carb, removed the float
chamber bowl and did a fuel flow test by catching the fuel coming out the
float  needle valve.   It was more than adequate but in the bottom of the
catch bowl was a tiny chip of what looked like epoxy resin.   It had either
blocked the flow to the needle valve or prevented the needle valve from
closing properly ( after one test the carb had obviously flooded as  there
was fuel dripping out the drain hole in the bottom of the plenum chamber )
but as to why it only happened after 1 minute at full power and at no other
time is still a mystery.

A further three flights were carried out on Friday 27th and she performed
flawlessly during which I and my co-builder Justin were able to act as on
board observers ! !

We returned home to Edinburgh late last night but I am not sure if we have
returned to earth yet  !!!!!

The fuel problem meant that the full test program could not be completed
and,  as this a Bank Holiday weekend,  we will have to return to
Kirkbymoorside next week to continue the tests.

Those of you still building - - - - stick at it - - - -   it's worth it in
the end.

Ted & Justin