Europa-List: Re: Funny fuel gauge

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Funny fuel gauge
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:29:42
--> Europa-List message posted by: John & Paddy Wigney
<johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>

<>Hi Sven,

I am not sure if this will help your problem but it may give you some
ideas. I have a Westach capacitance fuel gauge system which I bought
---From Aircraft Spruce. The dual fuel gauge is # 2DA4V and the two senders
are # 395-5S-1B. The system has worked well for me and as far as I am
aware, does not indicate differently for 100LL versus autofuel. The
individual probes go from the tank top to the rear inboard corners of
each tank section. The calibration range permits one to set the full
for the reserve section when the level is at the top of this section (=
2 US gallons). I fitted individual flanges and seals for each probe in
the tank top. Next time, I would use a single rectangular plate to mount
both probes. This makes insertion of the inner backing plate much easier.

I chose not to fit the factory sight tube arrangement as I was not
enthusiastic about plastic pipes running around the cockpit. The only
snag with the capacitance setup, and I think this will be similar with
the factory Mod 60 fuel gauge, is that the calibration is very coarse at
the top of the tank. What I mean is that the top quarter of the tank
contains approximately 7.5 US gallons out of a total of 18.0 US gallons.
Using the level gauge, I found it to be almost impossible to measure and
calculate fuel consumption when the tank is near the top.

My solution for this problem was to add the fuel flow / totaliser option
to my Grand Rapids EIS. This was a vast improvement and is very
accurate. It shows gallons per hour, fuel remaining in decimals of
gallons and does the arithmetic for endurance as well. Having two
independent systems is a useful cross check.

Cheers, John

N262WF, monoXS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina