RE: Europa-List: Through the firewall

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Through the firewall
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:34:11

 Hi Mike,

Please see my answers inline;

Terry Seaver
A135

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Gamble
Subject: Europa-List: Through the firewall

To those that have done it from those that are trying to do it.
Is there another place to mount the fuel pump to avoid feeding pipework
back to the baggage bay then forward again?
Answer: We stuck with the factory suggested locations.

How have people routed the fuel pipe from the pump to the engine ?
Manual says run the pipe under the brake cylinder forward but this would
put it too close to the wheel and the flap tube.
Answer: We stuck with the factory suggested routing, as I recall.  We
deviated from this initially, then had to redo it to the suggested
locations when we fit the air brake lever for the long wings.

Why should we mount the battery in the stb compartment of the baggage
bay and then route the cables up the port side to the panel?
How are you running the battery cables forward?
Answer: We mounted the battery under the stb baggage bay access panel,
routed 4-gauge wire up the stb side to a mechanical contactor on the
rear face of the passenger head rest, and then on up the stb side to the
bolts in the stb side of the firewall (see below on the bolts).  We used
a mechanical contactor rather than a contactor relay to save 1 amp of
precious electrical power budget.

How do we get the fuel pipes and the cables through the firewall?
Answer: The fuel lines run forward thru the tunnel, then through a hole
or slot in the stainless piece of the firewall that you fabricate for
the area between the footwells.
   Using the factory wiring option, the 4-gauge battery cables come up
the starboard side of the fuselage to the firewall, where they connect
to copper (or brass?) bolts/nuts thru the firewall, with 4-gauge wires
on the engine side connecting to the starter relay (+) and one of the
engine mounting bolts (-).  Connecting to the bolts on the inside are
lugs for the 10-gauge wires for the +12V and ground to the panel.

Help.
Mike Gamble
XS 440