Re: Europa-List: Cowl flaps?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cowl flaps?
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 07:56:18

Ron

Thanks for looking at my build pictures  http://www.europaowners.org/WileE
I have not noticed a high force on the cowl flap. It does make a slight
difference in the nose down trim a cruse flight speed. I copied the build
that Bob Harrison shows in his pictures.

It is made of 1/16" alum. I used a standard boden cable that I bought from
AC. The 2 hinges are .75 alum. aircraft hinges 3 inches long. The flap when
closed leaves a 3 inch slot open at it's trailing edge. (It does not close
off the air exit completely) It is not directly connected to the boden
cable. It is spring returned to the up position.

Hope this helps.  remember, "I am an armature aircraft builder  :)  "

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555