Europa-List: 100LL and TCP

Subject: Europa-List: 100LL and TCP
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:41:50

Hi Garry (and Europa list),

I endorse your comments regarding TCP additive. I use it at 30 ml per 10
US gallons when I fill up with 100LL, which is most of the time. I
notice that when I change my plugs at 100 hours, they are always in
excellent condition. Also when I change my oil at 50 hours, there is
always a grey lead sludge in suspension in the oil (Valvoline Durablend
semi-synthetic 10W-40), so I assume that the lead is not plating out in
the engine. Since I have not had the need to check inside my engine, I
cannot confirm that. Users should be aware that TCP (tricresyl
phosphate) is not a pleasant chemical and it can be toxic. This is why
the TCP containers are labelled "Do not carry in aircraft." My
understanding is that there was a fatal accident when a partially full
container (probably a 1 gallon can) burst at altitude in a small plane.
One can use heavy wall aluminum containers such as those used for
camping fuel for safer storage. Regarding other issues with100LL, I have
seen no clogging problems with my fuel filter(Andair) with 100LL.

See http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/alcortcp.php and
http://www.alcorinc.com/DOCS/1/tcp.html for more information.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, 400 hours
Mooresville, North Carolina

<<<<<<<<

From: "Garry" <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Europa-List: gas mixing

Mike, my practical "in a nutshell" advise would be to use the highest octane
rated Mogas you can buy, which is usually 93 octane.  If you can't get
Mogas, then use 100LL.  This advise goes for any Rotax engine, i.e.: 912,
912S or 914.  As to oil and filter changes you can safely go to 100 hours if
you use exclusively Mogas, but since it's cheap I usually change mine around
50 hours.  If you use 100LL exclusively I'd change my oil closer to every 50
hours since the lead in the gas will find it's way into the oil.  This
advise is based on 6 years of flying with my trigear 914.

A word of caution to 914 users.  The exclusive use of 100LL fuel WILL sooner
or later cause "sticking" of the turbo wastegate butterfly valve.  When this
happens, you will not have a flyable airplane.  The solution is to regularly
spray the wastegate valve with a penetrating spray.  In the US I have found
a product called "Blaster" works miracles.  Also, you can add TCP additive
to your fuel, but it's hard to find.  Exclusive use of 100LL also will cause
your fuel filters to clog quicker, and your spark plugs to foul quicker.

Regards, Garry Stout N4220S, A60, Trigear, 450 hours.