Europa-List: Re: Finishing JIM

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Finishing JIM
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:36:55

Brian,

We used six coats because that is Poly Fiber's recommendation.  It is to
protect the fiberglass from UV as well as to fill pinholes and provide a
hard smooth surface for subsequent paint.  The hints that Bob Harrison
suggested are good.  We used a spray can "guide coat" (you can purchase this
at an autobody supply shop) that we liked a lot.  We tried the 3M powder
without much success.  It's a personal preference thing but be sure to
purchase good quality sand paper and 3M makes a soft yellow foam sanding
block that we used a lot.  If you have a 24" Permagrit bar, you can attach
sandpaper to it to make a long bar.  We used 3" wide self adhesive
sandpaper, Norton I believe.

Have fun.  It takes a lot of time but Neville couldn't figure out how to
include the sanding in the 51%!!

Jim & Heather Butcher A185