Europa-List: ZK-TIM

Subject: Europa-List: ZK-TIM
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:09:20

Fellow Europa eans,
For those interested I have now  finished the flight testing programme for
my Europa 'Classic' Monowheel.
Fitted with a Rotax 912S and Airmaster propeller here are the final
results.As compared with the advertised
performance data they were as good and in some cases better.
Tests were done with different C of Gs and Weights.

Airspeed Calibration; Max. Position Error was 0.4% for the Pitot/Static
positioned out on the wing.(Mod?)
                                 Alternate source within the cabin was
satisfactory.

Stall Testing with Stall Strips attached;  Clean..................buffet
46kts stall 41kts

Flaps/Gear..........buffet

42kts stall 37kts

Glide Performance; Flaps/Gear Up - Idle Power.......... Best lift/drag ratio
= 65kts
                              Flaps/Gear  Down - Idle Power.......... Best
lift/drag ratio = 53kts

Climb Test Performance;
(Due to  'classic cowls' and 912S Rotax extra heat,I repositioned the Oil
Cooler to under the Propeller spinner without any change to the design lines
of the cowling)

Best climb/cruise speed to 10000ft was 85kts.  65kts took me to 4500ft
before oil temp max.
                                                                       70kts
took me to 6500ft before oil temp max.
                                                                       75kts
took me to 7500ft before oil temp max.
                                                                        85kts
took me to 10000ft and beyond as the oil temp began to cool then.
                                                                        (It
was a ISA + 5 day)
Best Angle of Climb = 60kts (as advertised)
Best Rate of Climb = 75kts   (as advertised)

All control forces in the three axis of rotation were well within limits and
the aircraft is inherently stable.

Flutter Tests resulted in no vibrations or flutter. ( even at Vne +10%
186kts!!)

It was a delight to test fly. Confidence in the aircraft grew every day
after a hiccup at the beginning (U/C retract after landing-another story)
I am very pleased with the results. Very docile in the stall, responsive
controls and inherently stable.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward