Europa-List: East of England plan

Subject: Europa-List: East of England plan
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:01:25

Good day,
        I understand that the above plan includes the destruction of one of
the Battle of Britain airfields - North Weald. I have visited the airfield
many times as aviator and historian, ahving flown the early jet fighters and
as former Commanding Officer of 401 Fighter Squadron, Royal Canadian Air
Force (now relegated to history because it does not have any French
content) - a participant in the Battle and Canada's most successful fighter
unti in WW II. I have also flown many tourists to England in 45 years of
flying.
        As you may imagine, I was appalled to discover that the 'plan'
provides for razing the field, and adding 6,000 houses as an alternative.
Were it not for North Weald, there would be no need for the houses, as the
Germans had no plans for them or their possible inhabitants in their
conquest plan. Thanks to these fields - few of which remain - it is possible
for the majority of 'planners' to exist.
        It would serve the history of Great britain and its former
Commonwealth partners far better if the plannned houses were to be sited in
Hyde Park, between Kensington Palace and Park Lane where little of
importance to the very existence of the British people occurred.
        Turning your back on those who made you possible will snuff many
thousands of tourist pounds from the coffers of nearby North Weald
establishments - none of which will ever attract me to the UK again. Ignore
vital history at you peril.
Fergus Kyle