Re: Europa-List: IFR reliability MTBF etc

Subject: Re: Europa-List: IFR reliability MTBF etc
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:14:25

Concerning reliability of automotive electronics systems that get too
complex, I had a feeling the link below might be now happening out
there.  60% of a huge service manual on my new Toyota Solara is
devoted to computer systems and diagnostics.

There is no key lock on the right side door.  If the left side key
lock were frozen or such, and the keychain electronics went south, you
can't even break into your own car.  One of several
standard-equipment, security systems will, beyond flashing/aural
alarms, disable the engine.  And I have never figured out the sequence
of things that I do leaving the vehicle in my own garage, where most
times on next drive I merely open the door; other days its Hal 2004
computer has locked the doors, I guess overnight!

www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/automobiles/06AUTO.html

Reg,
Fred F.