Re: Europa-List: Pitch Torque Tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pitch Torque Tube
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:06:00

<<> Don't remove so much as to leave less metal at the side than there is
around
> the hole - i.e. leave as much metal at the side as there is at the top of
> the lug (hard to describe, but I guess you'll understand).>>

I understand what you mean, but to quote the original promoter of this idea
(Neville) this should be a "NO NO"!

The lug acts in bending, not tension. So, modifying in the manner proposed
could reduce bending strength. A chain is as strong as its weakest link and
I suspect that these lugs come second to being the weakest part of the
elevator system (first prize goes to the TP pins)..

There is a geometry of modification that would not compromise bending
strength, but I'll not describe that because this would make me complicit to
illegal modification to the control system!

Duncan McF.