RE: Europa-List: Brass to aluminum

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Brass to aluminum
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:25:35

In order for corrosion to result from two dissimilar metals in contact there
must also be a conductive medium, also called an electrolyte, present in
contact with both metals.  Avgas and mogas are non-ionic liquids that are
non-conductive.  Ergo, no corrosion will result in your example.  That said,
there is a small (with emphasis on small) risk that there may be atmospheric
conditions conducive to corrosion, and this is especially true if your
aircraft is parked for an extended period near salt water where there will
be airborne salt spray, which we all know is a corrosive medium.

In the case of brass and aluminum it will be the aluminum that gets damaged
---From corrosion.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Europa XS Tri-Gear A070