Europa-List: NONONO

Subject: Europa-List: NONONO
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:42:50

While on the subject of trailers, here is another NONONO for those of you
who use a factory built trailer, where the tailplanes are simply stuck onto
vertical tubes.
Due to strong oscillations caused by road surface and wind, the Mickey Mouse
TP5 inboard tubes will work themselves loose. Remember, they are bonded into
foam with 5-minute epoxy. I had to reinstall them into a thick bed of floxed
redux. Since then I carry the tailplanes in the back of my car.

Tying down a trigear is easy so long as the speed kit is NOT ftted. Once it
is fitted  there are no more points for lashing the tiedown straps. My
solution was to fit marine issue ss 8mm eyebolts into the fuselage right
next to the top of the legs, just outside the fairings. The holes are
drilled through the flange of the leg's steel sockets for strength, and this
is also the strongest part of the fuselage. Of course it would have been
very easy to do before fitting the plywood pieces.
The eyebolts serve a double purpose, because prior to tiedown I use these
attachment points for pulling the aircraft onto the trailer with my trailer
mounted winch. I used the same type eyebolts for my wing and tail tiedowns.
The nose wheel is easily tied down by feeding a rope through the open
left-right tube near the top of the leg, and then tying it around the
trailer part below.

Karl    C-FIRS  392  trigear with 912S