RE: Europa-List: Manifold pressure gauge

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Manifold pressure gauge
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:53:32

Hi! Richard
I find myself a little bemused why the resistance to fitting a Manifold
Pressure Gauge, apart from needing room on the panel?  If you have a CS
installation without the gauge you will have no indication as to how you
are loading the engine, that is to say RPM is no longer an indication of
power.
So it becomes possible to run the engine at all RPM in a labouring
condition not to be recommended for cruise configuration with respect to
fuel consumption and engine well being. My MT CS prop. will hold the
engine RPM at say 2,500 even with maximum MP at say 30 inches, where
maximum recommended is about 22 inches.  The rule of thumb is so called
"squared"
Which means 24" FOR 2,400 rpm ON A DIRECT DRIVE ENGINE. However I've
managed to identify on the Jabiru 3300 that a lower MP with a slightly
higher RPM gives a better fuel performance. (no snipes about fuel usage
comparison with the Rotax thanks Duncan the scenario still applies)
Problem without a MP Gauge is knowing the effect of the ambient and
altitude changes and in pressure relative to engine performance.

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa Kit 337 MKI/Jabiru 3300