Europa-List: First flight G-CDBX

Subject: Europa-List: First flight G-CDBX
From: Robert Marston <robertmarston@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:17:36

Im delighted to announce the first flight of G-CDBX, which took place at
14.05 today at Shenstone airfield in the very capable hands of Lyndon Thorne
(Taff).

The day started with the weather not looking good enough to fly, there was a
crosswind and it was gusting quite badly.
We checked the plane out this morning and Taff then decided to do some
fast taxiing down the runway.   From the moment he got in and started
taxiing it was clear that he could make it perform like I never could, even
though he had never been in it before.   The fast taxiing consisted of 2
runs up and down the runway, during which the airspeed indicator touched 40
knots.   It seemed to perform fine so it was back to the hangar.   Next was
a full power check for two minutes, with 2 people on each wing holding it
back.  Again, no problems.
Then the top cowling was removed, and the engine checked for loose bits and
leaks.

The weather was still not looking good so lunch was started.
At about 14.00 Taff said he was going to perform some more fast taxiing,
and that she might fly.  The hint as enough, I thought I knew him well
enough to know she was going.  I watched him walk to the plane, climb in,
and close the canopy, thats when it began to dawn on me that she might just
be going flying.   I quickly spread the word to my wife, children and
friends.  By now Taff was already taxiing out to the runway.
We watched as he went to the end of the runway, did a 180-degree turn and
stopped.  By now there was a crowd of 15 of more expectant observers.   Taff
waited at the end of the runway, we heard the engine run up, mag. checks and
so on. Taff had waited too long, this was no fast taxi check, this was the
real thing.
The wiggle of the tail showed the power had come on, full power and he meant
business as it accelerated down the runway.  After 150m there was daylight
beneath the wheels.  She hugged the ground for a while gaining airspeed
before climbing effortlessly into the air.  He told me later that because of
the gusty conditions he wanted to accelerate to about 75knts for the climb
out.  The climb looked good. At what looked like 500ft I heard the engine
throttle back slightly as Taff told me he would.  So far everything looked
fine  and I was more than relieved.
After 5 minutes or so, Taff was on the hand held radio saying he was going
to 'fly an approach and overshoot'.   There was clearly a crosswind as he
crabbed in, but the plane looked great.  The sight of G-CDBX as Taff flew
past at 20 ft down the runway was definitely the best.  This was when I
knew she really did fly.
There followed another circuit, and then the landing.  The approach looked
good, even thought the wind didnt.  The round out at 6 inches above the
ground was followed by the smoothest of landings.  Some people, Taff,
amongst others seem to produce a perfect landing in less than favourable
conditions and I struggle to produce an acceptable landing in perfect
conditions.
This was just another day for Taff but clearly one I will not forget.
Im sure the next few weeks and indeed my first flight in G_CDBX will be
equally satisfying.
My thanks to everyone who has helped me in this project.

Robert Marston