Europa-List: FWF package

Subject: Europa-List: FWF package
From: Myron Haluschak <myron.haluschak@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:04:59

humble
opinion ?
After owning several planes, certified and not, one common thing always comes to
the forefront, especially if finances and piece of mind (which are related)
are concerned.
Maintenance with me is a  major issue. The 914 has always been my first choice,
but when adding a more complex engine, you must now prepare yourself for more
of the inherent things that go with it. Operating it properly, cost and
maintenance...
I am a high altitude pilot by profession and I believe in mid continental
areas the 912S is well suited. EX. Peter Timm from B.C. has flown across
Canada and runs a 912S, which he is very happy with, and  this is one reason
why I am going with the 912S selection. TBO may be a small point, that is until
you have to do one. I've had 6 and they open the door to Murphy's Law.
My main criterion for the 914, the great engine that it is, would be can you or
will you be able to justify the expense by using it for what it was truly
designed
to do - higher altitude flight ? If you are going up to where the 914 excels,
you may need to consider an O2 system.
Because of geography, some pilots need the power of the 914.  Getting higher ,
faster is a nice thought from a safety perspective, but when the s_ _t hits the
fan , it will ultimately be your judgement and skillset (proficiency) that will
let you walk after. In my experience, high and low timers with great equipment
still die.
Both engines are good. I have flown Europas with each engine, and found little
difference. Both had C/S props and performed well. Pilot workload on the 914 was
a little more, as it does require more attention. To me that's not an issue,
but long term operating costs, including parts cost, overhauls and such, are.
I hope this helps a bit. I am an F-16 C pilot, so bear in mind this is only MY
opinion.

Cheers
Myron Haluschak USAF/ANG  F-16 C