Re: Europa-List: Exhaust troubles 912S on XS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust troubles 912S on XS
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:08:54

Hi Sven,

We have an XS 912S with over 400 hours on it.  This has been a problem
for us on a number of occasions.  If you watch the muffler during a
startup, you will see that the engine rotates significantly on the motor
mounts, with the muffler unable to completely follow that motion.  The
muffler separates from the header pipes at the muffler's ball joints,
with the muffler springs taking up the slack, and then slamming the
muffler back onto the header pipes.  If all header pipes are not very,
very tight at the head attachment, one or more header pipes will be
pulled out of alignment by the spring pressure, rotating the header pipe
at the engine head ball attachment.  Then when the springs try to pull
the muffler back into position, the header pipes no longer fit properly,
and one or more muffler balls do not go back into their sockets.
      This problem is worse on hard starts, and can be made worse if the
springs lose their tension, as a result of the engine compartment temps
getting way too high.  It was also made much worse when I mistakenly
applied anti-seize compound to the header pipe ball joints at the head
attach points.
      The only cure we know of is to loosen the header pipes at the
heads and carefully realign the muffler/header ball joints, then tighten
the header pipes (at the heads) very tightly.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD

Sven den Boer wrote:

> After starting the engine and a test run, the rh back exhaust pipe had left
> the
muffler and was =B4=B4standing=B4 on the edge of the muffler.
> This despite installation according to Service Bulletin, with all springs
> still
attached.