RE: Europa-List: Europa Fatality?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Fatality?
From: M.J. Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:47:41

Hello Mark,

Following your question, I made inquiries of Alex Kaarsberg in Brazil.  He
told me that:

"They are 99% certain it was an accident provoked by running out of fuel
when circling to land. It is believed they stalled and fell into trees and
that it was the fall from the tree that killed one and left the other
without any memory of the accident or the time leading up to it. They had
taken of from another airport where there was a strike in the fuel depot and
there was no fuel found in the tank that survived the fall. The deceased was
an icon in the Brazilian GA world and nobody can believe he would get caught
out in a situation like that, but it looks like that is what happened,
Murphy lurks even in the best families. There will not be an official
inquiry as it was an ultralight, but the factfinding has still taken place
all the same."

I am sure we are all saddened to learn of this tragedy - thank you for
bringing it to the notice of the forum.

Fly safely,

Mike
Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer

Hi Folks,

I was reading a feature on the Falco website (www.seqair.com) and was
surprised by what it said.

http://www.seqair.com/Falco/FalcoPeople/Almeida/Almeida.html

<< I am very sorry to report that the Brazilian aviation writer Fernando
Almeida died as a result of an aircraft accident on July 5, 2003 at 10:30 AM
at Jundiai, about 50 km from Sao Paulo. Also in the aircraft was Fernando
Del Nero Landi who is reported to be in very serious condition. The aircraft
is reported as a Europa PU-LAN.>>

Does anyone have any details of the cause? Also how Fernando Del Nero Landi
is doing?

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT