Europa-List: motorglider certification problems

Subject: Europa-List: motorglider certification problems
From: Rob Huntington <robertodue2002@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:00:03

Hello all,

We are near completion of a Europa XS where the builder wants the ability to
switch
between normal/short wings and the motorglider wings. The aircraft is ready
to fly with the short wings, while the long wings won't be ready for 2 or more
months. When we registered the a/c we indicated that it is a motorglider.
After turning the certification paperwork into our DAR, he indicated that the
FSDO told him that when the motorglider wings are finished, the owner will need
to go through 10 hours of flight testing EVERY time he switches wings. I spoke
to John Hurst about this and he told me that wasn't the case with any other
Europa motorglider.

I would appreciate any input from those with experience in certification and
flight
testing using both long and short wings. Many thanks,

Rob Huntington
Phoenix Composites
4863 E. Falcon Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85215