Re: Europa-List: Tailplane TP12 Drive Plates Becoming Loose

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane TP12 Drive Plates Becoming Loose
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:46:11

Hello Tony

My kit A-265 came with 3/8 pins. Very poor fit, pins fell through the trilobal
holes.Factory sent me 10MM special pins and a 10MM Reamer. The fit is still too
loose after i reamed holes, but bearly within tolerance. Too loose for me on a
new build, you know things will loosen up. The reamer cut a bit oversized, and
the pins were not exact the same.

I broke down and purchased a reamers next size up from 10MM from mcmaster carr,
and some precision go/no go gauges (~2$ ea.). I will ream the hole on my
Bridgeport, then measure exact size. then i purchased some free machining
stainless from them and will make some new pins with a .00075" interference fit.
I will lap to exact size. What I am also going to do is take a popsicle stick
with some sandpaper bonded onto it, and make a dog bone between contact areas
and
also lead in so the hole does not get hurt as much without.

To me worth effort now that i can more easily get to stuff before top goes on,
compared to doing later.

Probably will do the deed within the next month or 2.

If you reamed holes with the 3/8 reamer, if they seem pretty round, you could
probably force the next size and maybe 2 go/no go through it (increment it .001)
could not do that.

Good Luck
Ron Parigoris