Re: Europa-List: Overvoltage problems - crowbar unit does its job

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Overvoltage problems - crowbar unit does its job
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:42:15

Good day All,

I'm looking for information.....not wanting to start any wars....so I'll ask
my question nicely.

Would this situation give credence to running a 24v aircraft system? Most
aircraft electronics will accept voltages from 10 to 32 volts, so if this were
happen in an aircraft running a 24v system you would have much more reserve.
An alternator shut down on a 12v system leaves you only 2 volts from
electronic shutdown, whereas with a 24v system you have a lot more reserve to
safely

get the aircraft down. Also, the electronics usually draws half the current in
24v system, thereby further increasing your reserve. And with less current
draw, smaller wire could be used thereby saving $ and weight.

Am I on the right path in my thinking? What am I missing?

Mike Duane A207
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Just about to put the top on but still finding little things to do before
that.