Europa-List: 912S - cylinder cowl???

Subject: Europa-List: 912S - cylinder cowl???
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:40:08

I downloaded Issue 2 of the 912/912S installation manual from the Club's
members' section today, to see if it contains any improvements over Issue 1
which came with my Firewall Forward kit in 2001.  It does, but it also
leaves me quite confused and concerned:

On p. 7-3 it says:  "The Rotax 912S engine is provided with a glass fibre
cowl around the cylinders to ensure that sufficient cooling air reaches
them", and then goes on to describe how to make the additional air inlet for
this cowl by using a "splash" moulding.  My 912S (delivered by Europa in
Lakeland in 2001) does NOT have this glass fibre cowl, but the FF kit HAS
the splash moulding!

The 912S installation instructions from Rotax (came with the engine) does
not mention anything regarding the cylinder cowl, and does not show it on
any of the engine drawings, either.

Can anyone explain this?  Do I have an older version of 912S than what Issue
2 of the factory's manual refers to (serial no. 4426924)?  Is the cylinder
cowl required/recommended?  Is it a Rotax part or from Europa?

Regards,
Svein
A225 - now in Norway