Re: Europa-List: Re: What engine for my Europa?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What engine for my Europa?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:34:57

> Andy's comments about the Jabiru 3300 installation are very interesting
> and informative.  John Lawton's comments about the quietness of the Jabiru
> installation are provocative, given the 3000RPM takeoff RPM.  Andy, would
> you happen to have any ideas as to why this is so, and what Jabiru does
> to address the observer noise issue?

Here are a few data on the Jabiru 2200 direct from DynAero, the French
manufacturer and designer of the MCRs :

- They never had any problems with the Jabiru (except one which was covered
by warranty)
- It is lighter than the 912, which is it's main advantage
- It can't really use it's 80 hp due to the high prop RPM (3300 RPM as
compared to 2300 for the Rotax)
- For the same reasons the observer noise is higher because of the higher
tip mach number.
- It necessitates a real break in period of 50 h, with mineral oil,
adjustments every 5 hours, and much heating.
- They have 250 Rotax flying, and only two Jabiru so they don't have much
flight experience to date.
- They would recommend the Rotax for a private owner and the Jabiru for the
flying clubs, who have a Lycoming culture and would keep their familiar
landmarks with this "mini Lycoming".
Further, flying clubs use the Jabiru powered MCR circa 220 km/h, with a
fixed pitch propeller with medium pitch. This setup gives a performance very
similar to the familiar Robin DR 400.
- DynAero's intentions are to have few Jabiru powered aircraft for the time
being, but with high annual flight time (500 h per year) in order to rapidly
build experience with the engine.
- They have a great faith in this engine.

Regards,

Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France