Europa-List: Turbo, heater et.al.

Subject: Europa-List: Turbo, heater et.al.
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:16:04

This might be good along with the discussion of the heater.

I installed my heater idea which was to pull heat from behind the radiators. I
used the same logic that Kevin did about the lack of CO - fresh air streaming
down that duct, etc. On the way to OSH, it was providing heat which took the
edge
off the cold air up there at 17,500 feet. I have a cowl flap that can keep
my temps up and that helps with the heat. The big problem was CO. I have an
electronic
CO detector and it indicated CO in the cockpit along with the thing
that changes color eventually. In-flight troubleshooting led to the heater. A
little duct tape and the CO problem was solved.

Taking a closer look at it, I most certainly have a leak in the area of my turbo
charger. I don't remember seeing the evidence of an exhaust leak there in the
early days of the engine, but now there is no doubt. I cannot find anything
in the way of a crack in the exhaust. There is staining all over the area of the
turbo charger. I have noticed that the flange I put on the duct to tap into
that warm air does not make a good seal and since the pressure on the cockpit
is lower than the cowl, that would allow the exhaust leak to make its way into
the heater duct and up into the cockpit. I can check this theory by making a
gasket of some sort and seal that area off. If it eliminates the CO with the
heater on (I got the CO with the heater on or off), that would support the
theory.

That leaves the issue of the turbo. I have heard form others that they have the
staining on the engine mount on the turbo side of the engine. Is this a common
situation? I am considering pulling the turbo when the weather gets bad and
start to look into other things that will down the airplane - changing to the
new water-less coolant for example.

What have others found in this area. I am hoping that this solves the CO
problem,
since the heater is a very simple mod that doesn't unlove the coolant and
doesn't
add very much weight.

Thanks.

Dave
A227
Mini U2
260 hours TT
255 hours engine time (how many short wing airplanes can make this claim?)