Europa-List: Dynon

Subject: Europa-List: Dynon
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:42

From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Subject: Europa-List: Re: Long EZ's into space with Dynon
Hi all you Europa crazies... Me Too! I am close to ordering a Dynon for my bird
but I have spoken with 2  people (RV Builders) that have talked to other people
with supposedly
bad experience with it. I have heard that after left to right rolls the
unit does not like to right itself. Now I know how negative things can
spread so I am relying on all you experienced flyers using it to give
me the scoop first hand.  How about it!  Are there enough of you flying
with it to give a comment? Can anyone comment from experience.
Thanks in advance, Jeff A258 >>>>>>>

Hi Jeff,

I have had a Dynon D10 for 15 months and have about 195 hours of time on it. I
have had some problems (i) initial incorrect attitude indication (corrected by
software upgrade), (ii) internal airspeed sensor leak (fixed by factory) and
(iii) major horizon oscillation at low engine speeds (Now fixed by latest
software.
It turned out that my 2 blade prop frequency at 4650 engine rpm coincided
with the internal refresh rate frequency.) The factory has always given me good
service and response.  After all this, it is now working fine and I am not
aware of any problems. I would recommend the unit.

I use the unit basically as a horizon reference only since I have a standard '6
pack' panel and as I do not do any aerobatics I cannot testify about self
righting
problems. Per the handbook, the horizon display will go grey if you exceed
150 degrees per second roll rate but I never see any problem of that nature.
Again per the handbook, it usually recovers within 30 seconds.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, Whirlwind C/S prop
Mooresville, North Carolina