Europa-List: Electrical question for 914 folks

Subject: Europa-List: Electrical question for 914 folks
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:12:55

Europaphiles,

This is the question I had for Andy.  Perhaps some of you folks who
have completed a 914 installation can help.

I am completing the electrical wiring.  I have some questions about
wiring in the two fuel pumps and the trim system.

The diagram on page 25-11 shows a single fuel pump being fed from right
---From the load side of the Main alternator through a 30 Amp Slow Blow
fuse and simple 5 Amp breaker.  None of your electrical diagrams show
the wiring for electrical fuel pump #2 for the 914.

My aircraft has the battery isolator solenoid fitted.

My panel, as wired by Gulf Coast Avionics, has a 35 Amp circuit breaker
in the electrically equivalent location of the 30 Amp Slow Blow Fuse.
They have pump #1 being being supplied from the Line side of the main
circuit breaker, thence through a 5 Amp circuit breaker and to the
pump.  I believe this is the electrical equivalent of the the circuit
for pump 1.  Presently, the only way to shut off pump #1 is to pull the
circuit breaker.  Should pump #1 go through a switched breaker rather
than a simple breaker?

Pump #2 is presently supplied from the Load side of the main circuit
breaker, thence through a switched 5 Amp circuit breaker and to the
pump.  Is this correct?  Is this OK?  Or, should it also be supplied
---From the Line side of the main circuit breaker?

Your diagram (25-11 again) states that the trim should be fed directly
---From the battery if the battery isolator solenoid is fitted.  Should it
be fed from the hot side of the solenoid or from the load side of the
solenoid?

The trim wiring, as supplied by GCA, is fed from the Load side of the
main circuit breaker and no switch is provided.  I do plan to add a
switch to the trim circuit.  I need to know from where it should be
supplied.

I hope this is clear.  If not, let me know and I'll try to provide a
better description.

Good building all,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, 914, Airmaster C/S
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/N914XL
(75%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in,
Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar
in, flap drive in. Working in - 24 Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical, 27
Setting Wings, 28 Flaps, 29 Main Gear, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door
Latches & 35 Doors, 37 Finishing.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123