Europa-List: Water

Subject: Europa-List: Water
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:27:37

Now that I have solved my 914 engine running problem after many hours of
checking
things over - the engine is now the most checked out engine there is, I would
think. Everything checked out fine, except it still wasn't running right -
plus it has never had a satisfying run-up since new. Finally, I tried to adjust
the carbs one notch lean, resulting in worse running. Logic seemed to indicate
trying to go richer and, what do you know, now it finally runs smoothly. It
was just too lean, it seems.

Because I never like going very long without things to fret about, I am noticing
for the first time in over 200 hours of operation that I am having to add tiny
amounts of water - coolant - to keep it topped off. That might be 1/4 cup every
3 hours or so - approximately. The first 200 hours, there wasn't a drop added.
So here comes my question - what have other 914 engine operators found regarding
coolant? I have absolutely no evidence of external leakage, although
I will be doing a very comprehensive check of this in the next few days. Anybody
ever had this before - any body know of ways the engine can use water without
leaking externally? Is there a head gasket of sorts?

Thanks,

Dave
A227
Mini U2