Europa-List: The rise of Europa

Subject: Europa-List: The rise of Europa
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:39:15

HI group,

It seems from what I have gathered that the new Europa has completely ignored
the
US market. As far as I know, the US sales office has not been included in the
revival of the company. If they happen to be out there, to me they are making
at least three mistakes. Two mistakes are not capitalizing on the talents of
John Hurst and Neville Eyre. They were EXTREMELY valuable, from my personal
perspective having completed an aircraft in 11 full time and 4 part time months.
Dealing with an office in the US, as responsive as John made it, was a critical
part of all of this. As useful as all your inputs were off this list, Neville
was the one who made the construction of the mini U2 possible. Big mistake.

The third mistake is not having a US sales office. John Hurst was extremely
valuable
and went WAY above that required to support the US customers. I personally
saw him stay after midnight helping a buyer load up his kit - all on his OWN
TIME!!! He has a genuine enthusiasm for the airplane that is contagious. In
addition to sales, he was doing development work and interfacing with the sub
components such as Rotax and Airmaster.

On the subject of Airmaster, A fellow Europa builder out here having built one
of the first kits in the US (he can be seen on the sales video) ordered and PAID
for an Airmaster prop. That prop never showed up to the tune of $5200. This
is obviously a situation that is totally unacceptable. It borders on theft.
Right
on the border.

Also, in the trouble shooting of my 914 engine, I have looked over everything
and
found that there may have been a manifold leak through the joint between the
carb tray and the intake. I can't believe they use O rings for that, but they
do. Both O rings were swollen to the point they would not go in the groove.
I have made gaskets for both sides of the carb tray and it runs very smoothly
now, but not perfect. My next thing to investigate is the fuel pressure
regulation.
I purchased the differential fuel pressure sender from UMA at OSH and just
have it now installed. On the ground it reads about 3.5 psi above airbox
pressure.
That is right EXCEPT when both pumps are on, it reads close to 6 PSI.
Tomorrow morning I will do a flight to see what readings I am getting. It is
supposed
to maintain the fuel pressure 3.5 psi above airbox pressure, with acceptable
ranges of 2 to 5 psid. If the pressure it too high, the carb bowls can
overflow and cause rich running and worse. Before anyone asks, the line back to
the tank is perfectly clear 3/8 inch aluminum line all the way back. There is
no restriction. I get close to 40 gph circulating around the loop. The engine
has never had what I would call a satisfying run-up, but it is within limits,
so I fly.

More progress, one day at a time.

Dave
A227