Re: Europa-List: Begging info....

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Begging info....
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:43:28

Hi, Ferg,

> These infer that I should
> coat the bottom of the fin (the foam structure between lighting
holes) with
> 2 layers of BiD. Do I have this correct?

What my manual states, and don't forget to cut out the cured glass in
the lightening holes.

>...if this latter surface is more than 3mm above the fuselage top
molding then
> to spacers of 3mm plywood require to be inserted.   In my case, the
spacing
> appears to be about 2mm, and wondering if I should make up some of
that.......

I think "shim" can be taken literally, not a structural issue.  It
seemed to me that if the gap is too big, you just won't know if enough
micro has been buttered in there for a secure bond.  2mm is not a lot
of "butter," though.

> If not, did you need an inordinate amount of 420 to secure a
> good bonding surface for the fin?

Should be about the same, as Redux is only for the flange.  More
important is enough flox so that the Redux does not sink out through
gravity.

Reg,
Fred F.