RE: Europa-List: 912UL oil consumption

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912UL oil consumption
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:41:07

My 912UL engine has done 680 hours in about eight years. I'm using Shell
Advance VSX-4 (synthetic based oil) as recommended, since my unleaded
mogas is occasionally supplemented with 100LL. I suppose the Rotax runs
at an average of 5100-5200RPM in cruise, measured on Skydrives Flydat.

I burn oil, and always have, perhaps a bit more than in the early days.
Useage is within the limits as described in the user manual. I probably
top up every eight weeks or so.

Having said that, I have suffered from the odd leak from places like oil
filter seal and from under the four covers of the cylinder heads, which
has made estimating more difficult.

Alan