RE: Europa-List: plexiglas/perspex

Subject: RE: Europa-List: plexiglas/perspex
From: David Buckley <davebuckley@zoom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:33:22

I've been flying my Europa for five years with the significantly brown
tinted UK plexiglass.

Although I do fly at night and IRF a reasonable amount in other
aircraft, night IMC and IRF in homebuilt aircraft / kitplanes is not
permitted in the UK.  I have however pushed right up to the limits on a
few occasions in the Europa. ;)

My thought on the matter are  as follows:

At night one is actually flying IFR (even if visual) at one could enter
cloud at anytime. Therefore everything you have to see to conduct a safe
flight is lit, and an ATC and preferably a Radar service should be used
whenever possible (IMHO)

Balance that with the risk of fatigue from too much heat/light on a
sunny day in the Europa greenhouse - it gets very hot without a great
deal of sun-and probably more time spent flying under these conditions
than the former- hopefully.  Even if light is cut to 25%, I believe you
should still be able to see nav lights at a respectable distance, and in
fact I would say a good exterior scan is more important.

Personally I would be happy to stick with the tint.  I think the colour
choice is more critical so as not to blank the Red/ Green nav lights.

Just an opinion.

Regards

Dave