Fw: Europa-List: Exhaust SB12 Mod

Subject: Fw: Europa-List: Exhaust SB12 Mod
From: Tony Bale <tony.bale@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:50:30

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Bale
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust SB12 Mod

Roger,
            SB12 entitled 912/912S exhaust silencer - baffle security,
mandatory,
compliance before next flight, applicable to 912 / 912S exhausts supplied
between
begining May 2000 and end May 2003.

Basically if an internal baffle becomes dislodged it can fail and block the
silencer
outlet - outcome, the donkey stops nodding. The non affected silencers have
a perforated inner skin which if a baffle fails, it will not block the outlet.

The test is pretty basic stuff, remove the lower cowling if necessary, remove
the
angled tailpipe and insert a piece of bent wire (welding rod or vintage coat
hanger) move the wire along the inside of the top of the silencer and if it
snags, or you can hear / feel it catching on the perforated inner skin, all is
okay - you have the later design. If however the inside of the silencer is
smooth,
you have the earlier type which needs the modification.

Modification is the insertion of a perforated tube which goes from the outlet
spigot
to the other side of the silencer, therefore preventing a collapsed baffle
---From sealing the outlet. You then re assemble, ground run, check full revs,
annotate the logbook - job done.

Regards

Tony.