RE: Europa-List: Subcontractor lists?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Subcontractor lists?
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:54:03

>I called LP Areo the other day and asked about windows. The woman that
>answered said they only sell Europa glass to Europa.

I've been thinking about this whole business of subcontractors,
trying to imagine the motives for various course of action.

If I was considering putting together some sort of financial rescue
package for the Europa factory (which I am not!) I believe I'd want
the administrators to keep that list of subcontractors close to their
chest. If the list gets public now, then later when I unveil The New
Europa Company, people may not want to buy stuff from me if they
think they can get it direct from the original manufacturer for a
similar price. Perhaps my markup on the bulk price I'd get from the
supplier might bring it close to the supplier's one-off price to
individuals. That fear of that situation might even prevent a New
Europa Company emerging at all. I'm sure most of us would prefer to
see the company revived in some fashion, but a headlong rush to track
down all the factory's suppliers could actually diminish the chances
of that happening.

On the other hand, if I was one of those suppliers, I might prefer to
do bulk deals with the factory (provided they paid!) than ship ones
and twos to individuals all over the place with all the extra hassle
that could give me, so maybe the previous scenario might not arise.
Looks like LP Aero is in this camp at present.

A lot depends on how urgently parts are needed by customers. I may be
wildly optimistic, but I'm hoping that the administrators can get
things sorted out enough to re-start the flow of parts to customers
within a few weeks. That would certainly be an important step towards
achieving their stated objective of rescuing the company as a going
concern.

regards

Rowland