Re: Europa-List: Lightnoing Strike

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lightnoing Strike
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:23:55

Whollyt freakin' cow, man!  You're a very lucky person!

Yeah, I was chuckling yesterday as in the a.m. the weathermen dropped
all precipitation from the forecast for the day, and later on in the
afternoon there was baseball size 'clear and sunny' falling on parts of
our area along with tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm watches.

Must be nice to be a weatherman and get paid for being wrong.

I was also thinking of taking up one of West Bend Air's 172's and
putting around for a while, but that idea quickly went away when I saw
the dark clouds in the west.

Glad to hear you are ok, Paul.  Radios can be replaced...

Chris

<paul.mcallister@qia.net>

> Hi all,
>
> I departed yesterday from KUES up to Canada.  About 90 minutes into
the trip I took a lightning hit.  The weather was forecasted VFR clear,
however about 70 minutes into the trip I began to suspect all was "not
as advertised".  I noticed a cloud about 15 miles of my port side this
looked ominous so I diverted away from it.  I was about to call flight
service when suddenly I saw a bright flash on the tip of my starboard
wind.  The starboard side was clear weather so I may have been struck
---From the port side, but it was hard to tell.  The main contactor
dropped off line so things went pretty quite until I kicked in the "E
Buss" circuit.

> Damage is as follows.  The paint is blistered on the starboard wing
tip and the port side is only blackened.  Internal inspection reveals
no sign of burning.  The wind tip lights are destroyed with some of the
screws melted.  My Narco 122 VOR/LOC/GS is destroyed, my Navaids the
electronic fuel gauge, the main battery contactor and the manifold
pressure sensing input to the EIS engine monitor.  The Apollo GX 60
GPS/NAV/Com and transponder survived.

> There appears to by no structural damage to the aircraft or welding
of the control elements.  I will know more over the next few days.  It
appeared that  the lighting entered a wing tip, traveled along the
common ground between the LED wing tip lights and exited the other wing
tip.